Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Bubbles and Sidewalk Chalk!

What is it about bubbles and sidewalk chalk that you never grow out of? I was pondering this exact thought yesterday when my children and I were playing. It seems like they are timeless, your never too old to enjoy them. This was the scene, I being the cool mom got out the bubbles and chalk and decided to allow them to play freely as I sat on the porch watching. At first I was engrossed in a good read, until their giggles erupted, I being curious looked up to see what was so funny. I was shocked at first considering they were simply popping the bubbles. Okay now while that seems like fun it wasn't something I thought I could laugh uncontrollably at. So like most adults I smirked and went back to my read until I heard even more laughter. Now this time I looked up and seen my 2 year old running in circles trying to eat the bubbles, okay now were talking this is funny. I laughed and instantly put my book down and walked over to play as well. I suggested to my 6 year old I now blow the bubbles, she agreed and handed a bubble container and wand.

Now the first few times I wasn't so good at making lots of bubbles (according to my children) so I practiced and wouldn't ya know it I got better. Soon I was pumping out bubbles like a pro. They loved it but honestly I think I was having more fun then them. The sight of my children playing and laughing at me simply blowing soapy water through a wand amused me more then anything. Now bubbles were fun but I was feeling like I was 6 again and had so much to show them with chalk. First we tried hop scotch, I forgot how much fun that is. Then we did our names and made lots of fun designs which again surprised me at how much fun it was. I was moving much faster at this point and I realized my kids were too interested in doing their own designs to care what I was doing. I looked around and they were no where near me yet here I sat still coloring with chalk. We sat there for quite some time coloring and playing it was honestly the most fun ive had in a while. So the question of the day is what childhood activities are just simply irresistible to you now as a adult? What is it about a simple thing like chalk and bubbles that interest us so much?


No comments:

Post a Comment